Wednesday, July 15, 2009

That's What I Get For Eavesdropping

A few days ago, I was in a really fowl mood. I know that's hard for some of you to believe, but trust me it happens. It was late in the evening, I had just given the kids dinner, and pretty much was grumpy the whole time. I don't even remember what I was frustrated about, but I was taking it out on the kids. In the midst of all this, Mike called to say he was on his way home. I was glad because I was feeling really tired and needed the help putting the kids to bed. I also think I was getting sick. Anyway Mike got home, but then ended up getting a page that he had to respond to, so I took the kids in and helped them brush their teeth etc. Usually one of us goes up with them, reads a few books, helps them say prayers and tucks them in. I was feeling too grumpy and sick and Mike was still on the phone, so I told them to just go up, say prayers, get into bed and I would be up in a minute. I layed down on the couch and listened. Abbie said her prayer and got into bed and Landon immediately started calling down because I had "forgotten" to help him say his. He was getting pretty upset and I heard Abbie say "I'll help you Landon." I didn't think he would let her because he usually only wants me to help him do stuff, but he tearfully said "Ok Abbie." I walked to the bottom of the stairs to listen thinking I would hear something pretty funny. This is what I heard " Please bless that Mommy won't be grumpy tomorrow..." Yea, not so funny. Mike thought it was hilarious though. I offically award myself the 'Worst Mom of the Year Award'

12 comments:

Anna said...

Im totally laughing right now!!! That is so hilarious. YOu know you are an awesome mom!! And thanks for being "real"~ You know what Im talking about. Give the kids hugs from me and CC we miss you guys!!

Camie said...

Don't worry! We ALL have grumpy mama days! And you're not the worst mom of the year--it was just one day! Everyone is allowed to have a bad day once in a while! We need to hang out sometime soon!!

This is me said...

Erin, seriously, it happens to everyone. I made Lauren cry the other day because I told her not to talk to me anymore. It just flew out of my mouth in a moment of anger and frustration and I have regretted it ever since.

And the two biggest signs that you are a GREAT mom is that your kids were helping each other and praying.

You must be doing something right!

I am Laura said...

such a cute story and you are not a bad mother. The way Abbie is is a reflection of you. Her seeing that she needed to step in and help and that you needed a blessing to feel better was a reflection of your good parenting. This is an awesome story.

christi said...

Erin your kids are so cute!! You are an awesome mom and a great example.

Ormeeheads said...

Oh hell, shake it off!!! This type of thing happens to me all the time. Lol

The Walkers said...

Holy cow, you are.

jordan

The Walkers said...

I have no idea what Jordan's comment means. Erin, we all know you're a fabulous mother. I think we have to have bad days to realize how good the other days are.

Sandra and Brent said...

Okay, I'm definitely calling child protective services right now . . . your children are being forced to listen to each other's prayers because you had a grumpy day! Honestly Erin . . . ever think about givin' yourself a break? Your husband is living proof that you can survive a grumpy mother and actually go on to live a good, productive life! Love ya big bunches . . . Sandra

Hale-O There said...

Erin, you're a great mom! I didn't see you grumpy once for a whole wk in powell with three little kids. Love ya

Hallie said...

Hey Erin! I loved this post...kids truly have their hearts in the right spot! I stumbles upon your blog from Christi and Karl's blog...hope ya don't mind! It's fun to see your family this way!

The Teeples said...

Oh Don't you Worry Erin. That seems to be at least a weekly occurence from Isaac. You got to love it though because some days I need all the prayers I can get.

You guys all look great. We miss seeing you.